The Imagine Communications® Device Controller is a common hardware platform that supports all D-Series™ automation solutions, including the new D-Series™ system.
As the core hardware element of your automation system, the Device Controller manages all basic D-Series functionality from a high-performance server that hosts the real-time operating system, application software and device drivers.
The Device Controller, available in efficient 2RU and 4RU configurations, is built for demanding broadcast automation operations. The system was developed from the ground up with high reliability and maintainability, with specifications designed to handle future growth.
The Device Controller chassis houses serial interface cards, network cards for communication and device control and the timecode reference card, in a variety of configuration options. The platform is fully compliant with environmental standards, including the international WEEE and RoHS regulations. Serial- and IP-network connections are employed to provide high-speed communications with video servers and other broadcast devices. Additionally, the 2RU and 4RU chassis share a large number of components, reducing spare parts and inventory administration.
If you’re already using D-Series automation, upgrading to the Device Controller future-proofs your playout system and allows you to take full advantage of software developments supporting new broadcast models and technologies.
2RU or 4RU: Which is right for you?
The Device Controller is available in 2RU and 4RU configurations, which can be used to tailor the deployed hardware to the size of your operation, allow for growth or add high-reliability clients to your operation.
The 2RU version can be equipped with 32 serial ports, expandable to more than 150 with the use of external SMS6800+T multiplexers.
The 2RU chassis can also be incorporated into the environment as a Flexicart controller and SDDS (Secondary Data Delivery System) server, as well as for other peripheral tasks. This provides a high-availability platform for mission-critical tasks and delivers maximum uptime with the ability to share spare parts across all of your deployed Device Controllers.
Both the 2RU and 4RU chassis share a large number of components, allowing them to be deployed together to match your system needs
Common parts include power supplies, CPU, memory, drive controllers, COM ports, parallel ports, PCI cards and network interfaces
- Designed for high reliability and maintainability from the ground up, the Device Controller is an industrial hardware platform able to evolve as your needs change
- Unlike commercial, off-the-shelf hardware, the Device Controller meets all of the exacting Imagination Communication standards for reliability and flexibility, increasing maintainability and reducing end-of-life issues
- In addition, the platform features:
- Increased performance and throughput
- Scalable hardware for system extensibility, driving more devices and more channels
- Greater communications bandwidth, featuring native dual Gigabit Ethernet network connectivity
- Space-efficient packaging available in 2RU and 4RU configurations
- Outstanding reliability, availability and serviceability, from shared parts to standard dual power supplies to readily accessible disk drives