Here are five simple tips you should considered before ever building digital signage content.
Content makes or breaks digital signage. Without it, a digital sign is a blank slate. With well-conceived content, digital signage is transformed from mere displays, computers and cables into a dynamic communications medium with an ability to inspire, inform and motivate that is unsurpassed.
Given the importance of digital signage content to succeed, I sought out some advice from an expert in content to find out if it was possible to develop a short list of tips to help guide content development, regardless of the specific message to be delivered. I turned to Brian Bibler, director of creative services for Keywest Technology, for help.
Brian, who has years of experience prior to joining us with helping clients to build successful creative for all types of marketing campaigns, provided me with these five tips on how to make digital signage content that’s successful. They include:
• Lead any and all content considerations with the brand. Follow that goals, initiatives, and objectives. Only then can an effective creative content strategy to deliver the brand promise be developed within any content campaign.
• Think outside of the box. Technology has redefined the way we communicate, and signage is no different. Each campaign literally begins with a blank digital canvas, and the methods used to execute the vision for the campaign is only limited by what the imagination can conceive.
• Know your audience. Getting “lost in translation” is a very real pitfall and can derail a well-executed campaign.
• Remember, less is more. A good campaign delivers a targeted message through an innovative, clean and easy-to-read approach. Strategically guiding the audience through the campaign/promotion will guarantee the brand message will be received and retained. Images should be captivating, text should be concise and dwell times should give audiences enough time to absorb without losing interest.
• Do your homework. It’s no secret we’ve become an instant gratification society. Take the time to research styles, designs and trends. Find out what is currently getting attention and the methods that are being used to do it. For digital signage, a great place to start is Times Square in New York City.
Digital signage technology can be highly effective in communicating a message, but without properly conceived and executed content not only will it fail to reach its full potential, but it will actually diminish the public’s perception of the business, organization or institution using the technology. Brian’s first tip --leading all content considerations with brand—speaks to this.
Without making all content decisions guided by the brand, digital signage messaging will likely be confusing to consumers and counterproductive in achieving the underlying goal of the communications effort, namely, delivering on the promise of the brand. Leading all decisions about digital signage content with the brand will avoid those pitfalls.
Similarly, keeping all five of Brian’s tips in mind before developing content for digital signage will go a long way to ensuring that the messaging delivered communicates what is intended in a way that’s fresh and engaging as well as consistent with the larger promise of the brand.
About Keywest Technology Keywest Technology is a leading designer of digital signage hardware and software offering solutions from simple single sign playback to large multi-sign networks. Based in Lenexa, Kan., the company is dedicated to making digital signage technically as easy as a day at the beach. Learn more about Keywest Technology digital signage All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.